Surely you have heard of cardamom. It is a spice widely used in gastronomy and medicinal areas, originally from southern India and Sri Lanka. The use of cardamom dates back to the Egyptians, who chewed the seeds to clean their teeth. In contrast, the Greeks and Romans gave it cosmetic use as perfume. It was in Ancient Rome that it began to be used as an aromatic spice.
The great boom of this seed is due to its remarkable properties for the body. Today various countries produce it; Guatemala is currently the largest producer of cardamom. If you want to know more about this potent seed, stay until the end and learn about cardamom, an excellent ally for health.
What is cardamom?
Cardamom is one of the most highly valued oriental spices today. Its scientific name is Elettaria Cardamomun, and it belongs to the Zingiberaceae family of plants, of which ginger is also a part. You can find the whole seed, ground, green or black. The green one is the most common commercially due to its exquisite flavor and intense aroma.
Cardamom is characterized by having a very characteristic flavor and aroma, between hints of mint, citrus, and even spicy. It is ideal for seasoning both savory and sweet dishes.
The black seed is mainly used ground and is also used to season various dishes. The seeds are larger and have a more bitter touch compared to green. There is also white cardamom which is the least intense.
Cardamom is one of the most expensive spices in the world, along with saffron and vanilla, because it is harvested manually.
What is cardamom used for?
The best-known use of cardamom is in the kitchen to season and aromatize different dishes and even drinks such as teas and infusions. Because of its distinctive flavor, it is ideal for cooking. The gastronomy of India and the Middle East is a spice that cannot be missing in stews, curries, and pickles. It is also used in sweet dishes and drinks to flavor desserts differently. At present, it has also gained prominence in cocktails.
The second best-known use of cardamom is therapeutic and medicinal. When taken as an infusion, it has a digestive, depurative and diuretic effect. Cardamom also adds fragrance to soaps, perfumes, and cosmetics. Below we will focus on the main health benefits.
Cardamom brings significant benefits to the body thanks to its powerful composition. This excellent ally for health contains proteins, water, carbohydrates, fiber, and an essential oil with limonene, borneol, and cineole. It is also rich in starch and fatty acids such as linoleic, caprylic, palmitic, and phytosterols.
- It helps control diabetes and prevent it. It increases the production of manganese, a mineral that favors the elimination of excess sugar in the blood. In addition to this, it helps manage other complications of diabetes.
- It is an anticancer due to its superb antioxidant power. It can fight free radicals that damage the body and generate cancer cells.
- Excellent liver cleanser. Improves its performance thanks to cineol.
- Helps lose weight. Scientific studies have proven that taking cardamom extracts helps burn body fat.
- It is a good metabolism accelerator, so it helps us burn more calories or maintain weight.
- It promotes bone regeneration as it is a rich source of calcium.
- Rich in B vitamins, vitamin C, sodium, iron, calcium, and phosphorus.
- It is an excellent ally for digestion. Relieves digestive disorders such as stomach heaviness, abdominal swelling, bloating and flatulence.
- Improves oral health thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps fight bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath, cavities, and oral diseases.
- Antimicrobial effect, prevents infections. Studies have revealed that cardamom seed oil can fight bacteria, fungi, viruses, and mold.
- It strengthens the immune system, helping to prevent and relieve flu symptoms.
- Helps fight respiratory diseases such as bronchitis, asthma, and pharyngitis.
- It acts as a natural diuretic. Avoid liquid retention.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Fight constipation.
- It is ideal for maintaining healthy skin and treating skin infections. Cardamom oil is used to remove stains. It also improves the shine of the skin.
- Antidepressant properties. It is used to treat mental fatigue, nerves, and lack of sexual interest.
- It sharpens memory and keeps the mind and body active.
Get the power of cardamom in our SLIM TEA
Cardamom is ideal for flavoring infusions and hot drinks. That is why, our SLIM TEA collection are enriched with cardamom to exalt all the properties of this great ally for health. In addition to providing a characteristic flavor and aroma of this spice. The combination of 18 natural herbs, including cardamom, makes our SLIM TEA an excellent infusion that promotes a digestive, thermogenic effect and helps achieve a slimmer and more toned figure.
We now have four presentations for our SLIM TEA. Please choose your favorite on our website and take advantage of cardamom’s benefits.
Undoubtedly, cardamom is an excellent ally for health that should not be missing from our diet. Its many benefits for the body and its intense aroma and flavor make it one of the most sought-after and popular spices worldwide today. What are you waiting to try it?