Summer is a much-anticipated time of year for many, but it can also be difficult due to the high temperatures. To combat the summer heat wave, is essential to take action to stay cold and safe. In recent days, Spain has experienced an unprecedented heat wave, with temperatures reaching 40 degrees Celsius in some areas. This heat wave has caused several public health problems and concerns. To combat these health problems, you must know how to stay cold and safe during the heat wave. Stay to the end and learn the main recommendations to combat the heat wave.
Health consequences of a heat wave
The heat wave can have significant health consequences, especially for the most vulnerable groups, such as young children, older adults, and people with chronic diseases. Here are some of the health consequences of the heat wave:
- Dehydration: Dehydration is one of the most common consequences of heat exposure. When it’s hot, the body loses water and electrolytes through sweat. If not adequately replaced, it can lead to dehydration, which can cause symptoms such as dry mouth, fatigue, and dizziness.
- Heat exhaustion: Heat exhaustion is a condition that occurs when the body overheats and cannot cool itself adequately. Symptoms may include excessive sweating, weakness, nausea, and headaches.
- Heat stroke: Heat stroke is life-threatening when the body overheats and cannot cool itself adequately. Symptoms may include high fever, hot and dry skin, confusion, and convulsions.
- Respiratory problems: High temperatures can worsen respiratory issues, such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Cardiovascular problems: High temperatures can increase the risk of cardiovascular problems, such as high blood pressure and heart attacks.
- Kidney problems: High temperatures can increase the risk of kidney problems, such as acute kidney failure.
Recommendations to combat the heat wave
One of the most effective ways to combat the heat is to stay hydrated. Drinking enough water is crucial to prevent dehydration and keep the body cool. In addition, it is advisable to avoid alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, as they can increase dehydration. Our functional teas are an excellent option to combat the heat wave. Learn how to prepare an Ice Tea with our teas.
Another essential way to combat the heat is to dress appropriately. It is advisable to wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing, as this helps to reflect the heat instead of absorbing it. On the other hand, wearing hats and sunglasses will help you to protect yourself from the sun.
Avoid exposure to the sun during the hottest hours.
Another major thing to protect us from the heat wave is avoiding sun exposure during the hottest hours, usually between 12 pm and 4 pm. It is advisable to stay in cool, shady places during these hours to avoid heat exhaustion and other heat-related problems.
- Use sunscreen
Use sunscreen to protect yourself from UV rays. Apply sunscreen every two hours and after swimming or sweating.
- Cool off with water
Take cool showers or baths, or use wet washcloths to cool off. This will help fight the heat wave.
- Eat light meals
Eat light, fresh foods, such as salads, raw fruits, and vegetables. Avoid heavy, hot foods that can raise your body temperature. In Spain, you can also find relief from the heat in cold dishes such as gazpacho or salmorejo.
- Use fans or air conditioning
Use fans or air conditioning to keep cool in your home or workplace. Many homes and businesses in Spain have air conditioning because of the hot climate.
- Pay attention to symptoms
Finally, recognize signs of heat-related problems like dizziness, nausea, or headache. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is vital to seek medical attention immediately.
Recharge your energy with our ENERGY & VITALITY TEA
It is vital to stay energized during heat waves so that you can help yourself with our ENERGY & VITALITY TEA. Remember that you can prepare it cold to make it more refreshing. Here’s how to prepare it:
1. Add the ENERGY & VITALITY TEA in hot water, infusion type.
2. Transfer it to a pitcher with a little more water.
3. Add fruits or herbs to taste.
4. Add ice or let it cool for a few hours.
This is how easy and fast you can prepare a delicious iced tea with our Camino de Cabras teas. Opt for a healthy and delightful drink option to enjoy this summer.In conclusion, to combat the summer heat wave, it is essential to stay hydrated, dress appropriately, avoid exposure to the sun during the hottest hours of the day and pay attention to signs of heat-related problems. With these measures, you can enjoy the summer safely and healthily.