Selenium is an essential trace element for the proper functioning of the body. The body cannot produce Selenium, so it must be supplied through the diet or a supplement. Selenium stands out for its remarkable antioxidant properties, helping to prevent diseases such as cancer and strengthening the immune system. It is also characterized by being anti-inflammatory, detoxifying, and cardioprotective. If you want to know all the benefits of Selenium for the body, read until the end.
Foods that contain Selenium
Many foods are rich in Selenium that you can include in your daily diet. In foods of plant origin, the amount of Selenium depends on the soil in which they are grown. While in foods of animal origin, it depends on the amount of Selenium in the food that animals consume. Here is a list of the foods richest in Selenium so you can start consuming them regularly:
- The Brazil nut is the food with the highest amount of Selenium you will find: 4000 mg per 100 g.
- Red meats, veal, lamb, kidney, liver. These red meats and organ meats represent a great source of Selenium.
- White meats like chicken and turkey are also a great option if you’re looking to boost selenium levels in your body.
- Shellfish, oysters, tuna, salmon, and cod also contain this trace element.
- Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds.
- The egg is a good source of Selenium. It provides approximately 31 mcg per 100 g.
- Cereals such as rice and wheat.
- Greens and vegetables include onion, asparagus, garlic, cucumber, spinach, tomato, etc.
Now that you know the main foods that provide Selenium, you can include them in your balanced diet to take advantage of the benefits of Selenium in your body.
Health benefits of Selenium
Selenium is mainly characterized as a powerful antioxidant. Among its incredible health benefits, we highlight:
- It strengthens the immune system, reduces inflammation, and helps prevent various diseases thanks to its antioxidant properties.
- Reduces the number of free radicals found in the body. It prevents premature aging.
- Powerful anticancer effect. Selenium protects cells against DNA changes, decreasing tumor formation chances.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Protects the heart from heart attacks, thrombosis, and stroke.
- Selenium is favorable for weight loss by acting as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
- Improves the functioning of the thyroid gland. The most significant amount of Selenium is stored in the thyroid. Selenium deficiency can cause hypothyroidism.
- Another benefit of Selenium for the body is the prevention of degenerative diseases such as arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Selenium helps improve male fertility by increasing seminal production.
- An adequate dose of Selenium supports muscles, skin, hair, and nails.
- Another benefit of Selenium is to counteract the toxicity of heavy metals in the body, such as cadmium, mercury, and silver.
What do you think about the benefits of Selenium for the body? Many people are unaware of the power of this trace mineral that is so essential for good health.
Your dose of Selenium in our DEFENSES supplement
As we mentioned above, Selenium can also be consumed in the form of a supplement to guarantee the benefits of Selenium in the body. The latest research from the European Federation of Dietitians Associations (EFAD) indicates that the recommended daily dose of Selenium ranges between 50 and 60 micrograms in older adults. In minors, pregnant and lactating women, the recommended daily concentrations vary. In our DEFENSE supplement, you will find the dose of Selenium that your body needs.
DEFENSES is a food supplement based on Vitamin C, Echinacea, Zinc, and Selenium. This formula, presented in vegan capsules, will help you strengthen your immune system and keep it safe from free radicals. Among its benefits, you will find:
- Strengthens the immune system naturally.
- Activates the body’s defenses against infections.
- Promotes healing of diseases and healthy cell growth.
- Prevent your body from rusting.
- Supports the respiratory system.
- Helps prevent and relieve cold and flu symptoms.
All this is possible thanks to the presence of Selenium combined with Vitamin C, Echinacea, and Zinc.
Signs that you lack Selenium in the body
A deficiency of Selenium in the body can trigger different diseases such as liver and muscle function disorders, affect the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system and generate alterations in the immune system. Selenium deficiency is common in various parts of the world. Europe and New Zealand have a high percentage of lack of this mineral. Here are some signs that may indicate a selenium deficiency in the body:
- Alterations in the thyroid.
- Muscular weakness.
- Brittle nails.
- Pale skin.
- Mental confusion.
Ensuring the proper amount of Selenium, accompanied by a balanced diet and regular physical activity, improves the production of antibodies necessary for the body. As we mentioned before, Selenium is capable of increasing defenses, reducing inflammation, and protecting the body from diseases. Ensure your recommended daily amount of Selenium with our DEFENSES supplement and stay healthy.