In Spain, as in much of the world, Christmas is full of culinary traditions and authentic flavors. Although many Spanish Christmas dishes can be high in calories, there are also healthy options to enjoy without compromising your well-being. In this article, we present some typical Spanish Christmas dishes with a more beneficial approach:
1. baked turkey with vegetable garnish: Roast turkey is a Christmas classic in Spain. Opt for a healthier version by baking it skinless and seasoning it with aromatic herbs such as rosemary and thyme. Pair it with roasted vegetables, such as carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms, to add fiber and nutrients to your dish.
2. Cod and orange salad: Cod is another ingredient that is very present on Spanish Christmas tables. Prepare a light, refreshing salad by mixing desalted cod flakes with orange slices, black olives, red onion, and lettuce leaves. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to enhance the flavors.
3. Seafood soup: Seafood soup is a healthy and comforting option to start a holiday meal. Choose a low-fat version, using homemade fish stock and adding fresh seafood such as shrimp, mussels, and clams. Add vegetables such as leeks, carrots, and celery for a nutritious and tasty dish.
4. Turkey stuffed with nuts and herbs: Turkey is a Christmas classic and can be a healthy option if appropriately prepared. Stuff the turkey with chopped nuts, such as walnuts and almonds, and fresh herbs, such as thyme and sage. Bake in the oven until cooked through and juicy. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad.
5. Roast lamb with spices and vegetables: If you prefer to enjoy lamb for Christmas, opt for a spiced roast with vegetables. Season the lamb with cumin, paprika, and garlic powder, and roast it in the oven until tender. Pair with roasted vegetables such as peppers, eggplant, and onions for added flavor and nutrition.
Pair these menus with a side of oven-roasted vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, and zucchini, to add color and fiber to your meal.
Healthy holiday desserts
It’s possible to enjoy healthy holiday desserts during the holiday season. Here are a few options:
1. Healthy Yule log: A traditional dessert that can be made with healthier ingredients, such as using a chestnut or nut cake instead of the typical chocolate base.
2. Dark chocolate nougat with nuts: Instead of using almond nougat, a healthier version can be made using unsweetened dark chocolate and nuts such as walnuts, hazelnuts, or toasted almonds.
3. Chia custard: Traditional custard can be replaced by chia custard, sweetened with dates or stevia, and with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla.
4. Candied fruits: Instead of the typical sugar-filled candied fruits, healthier versions can be made using fresh fruits, such as pineapple, melon, or apple, and dipping them in melted dark chocolate.
5. Dried fruit marzipan: Instead of using the traditional sugar and almond-based marzipan recipe, a healthier version can be made using dates or raisins as a sweetener and adding dried fruits such as walnuts, pistachios or almonds.
6. Coconut and cocoa bonbons: Mixing shredded coconut with cocoa powder and natural sweetener, you can make healthy and delicious bonbons. Chopped nuts can also be added for an extra touch of flavor.
7. Whole wheat kings thread: Instead of using refined flour in the dough for the king’s thread, you can choose to use whole wheat flour, reduce the amount of sugar, and add dried fruits or orange zest for a touch of flavor.
These are just a few healthy dessert options for Christmas that you can enjoy in Spain and anywhere in the world. There are many other delicious alternatives to explore. The critical thing to remember is that you can healthily enjoy Christmas desserts without sacrificing flavor.
Better digestion during Christmas with Stomach Elixir Tea
For better digestion this Christmas season, accompany your meals with an infusion of Stomach Elixir Tea. This unique blend of 11 natural herbs, including chamomile, licorice, peppermint, calendula, anise, fennel, lemon balm, and caraway, helps promote healthy digestion and soothe an upset stomach after meals. Enjoy a cup after each meal to feel light and satisfied.
Celebrate a healthy Christmas with these delicious menus we share with you! Discover how to enjoy nutritious and balanced meals this holiday season without sacrificing flavor and tradition. Accompany these delicacies with our Stomach Elixir Tea infusion, bringing you wellness and healthy digestion. Happy holidays full of health and joy!